Saturday, November 20, 2010

First 2 days back at home in Freetown

Friday eve: 12 November, 2010-

Dear Friends near and far!
Greetings and joy as I complete the last hour of my 28 hr journey from WA to Freetown, Sierra Leone.  I’m really too excited to write now but lest I alienate my kind seatmate by incessantly tapping the floor in eager anticipation, I am trying to distract myself with a little preface here for the rest of the trip. 
Thus far there have been no hitches with the travel itself- I had a horrible cramming to get myself off and could never have made it without mom spending the night up with me coordinating all the loose ends from some quick clothing fixes to helping cram and forcefully close suitcases which then dad came and placed luggage straps on at 4am which hopefully will keep them from splitting open their over-stuffed “bellies”.  I had procrastinated in the struggle of how to get all the things I had to bring including so many kind donations to the last minute and things were still coming in, with the last kindness being cash donations that covered taking an extra overweight piece and the extra 50# of one of the 2 free checked pieces.  Otherwise it would have been an infinitely harder sorting process. As it was, I was unable to take any of the lovely dried apples as I ran out of space before I ran out of weight in one of the suitcases, loading to 91 and 96 lbs when I wanted to use every ounce of the 100 allowed as overweight bags.  Now I am praying  to find them still intact, have no difficulty in clearing customs and for none of my friends to insist on carrying them on their heads as I don‘t want that responsibility for their cervical vertebrae!!  Seemed like it took forever to pack things to best utilize the space and suddenly I realized I had better pack my own things quickly or suffer the consequences! Such rushing about gave me the fair certainty that I would find missing items in the content and one glaring lack came to light in San Francisco airport when I saw a man rummaging through his backpack with several vitamin bottles around him: Oh! my probiotics- still in the refrigerator at home.  But here was a drugstore right ahead of me and a quick call to naturopathic consult, Dr Judy and I had advice for the best of their meager selection and so that taken care of.  On to my gate, where my one carry-on, though of standard size, was declared “too fat” and must be checked but the agent suggested I search it to make sure there was nothing I would need till I saw it again in Freetown (quite hopefully as it had all my dresses and personal items in it!).  That’s when I discovered I had only less than half of my anti-malarial pills and that a much bigger issue than my probiotics!! With all the mosquitoes I am infinitely attractive to, malaria rates #1 as the biggest fear I have had here in SL.  I had had 2/3d of what I needed left from the last trip and so planned to take those to use first but they never made it into the suitcase stuffing.  Back to the drugstore but no pharmacist/ medication there and no time to take a taxi anywhere.  By phone, the airport clinic nurse was sure I could find them here in Freetown but doesn’t understand there is a huge issue with fake meds here (why our donated meds are so prized). 
Slept again on the flight to Chicago and there were no obvious leads to a pharmacy so I got a sandwich, made a few “last of the US phone calls” and was pleasantly surprised to find lots of room so able to spread out on that overnight flight to Brussels.  Slept by fits and spurts but well-enough to feel rested and quickly write up some Thanksgiving cards I had meant to send from the States, asked at the visitor info kiosk for a postal station and pharmacy and found both (though the post box and stamp dispenser was closed for a state holiday and I had to sweet-talk the store manager into selling me the postage amount and promising to stamp and mail them Monday for me. Hmm, hope he remembers!).  Checked into the last leg of the flight and she said it would be a 30 minute walk but I had almost and hour so hunted up the pharmacy.  The lady was delightful, but I needed a prescription and so should go down to the clinic on the ground floor just outside the building---  Was it far? No I could be back in 10 minutes and so I trotted down, was kindly given quick explanation, evaluation and was back in 7 likely and soon on my way to the last part of my flight feeling very blessed to have that taken care of.  I was seated by a woman/ midwife who was very spiritual, very principled, very accepting of religious beliefs but sadly did not believe in the very God that I strongly believed made that seating arrangement plan.  We talked about many things and I found out lots applicable to the work I am so interested in.  She was very knowledgeable, was from the Netherlands, with past history of living here as a child, some 30 years ago for 2 years, a time when her father had employment here.  And that brings me up to the time I started this and that’s where we stop for the night so Susan and I can join Olive, her daughter in a very anticipated sleep here back “at Home” in Freetown!!!

Saturday afternoon: 13 November, 2010-
Arriving in Freetown again thrills my heart!  Everything went fine through the disembarking, my suitcases were held together by the luggage straps though there were a couple of items hanging out of the hard-sided suitcases and today a couple of children’s items seem to be missing.  But the bulk of everything is fine and they waved me through customs with just a very few questions  about what I came for and had I anything to  declare.  Then just outside the doors, I was met with a big hug from Victor and also found Joseph, my policeman/photographer friend who had come straight from leave taken in Makeni awaiting me.  It was about a 20 min trip of catching up with each other travel to the ferry site where we had about 30 mins to wait before disembarking.  The info included the previous day’s wonderful news that out of a 4th year class of  48, only 6 which by God’s grace and diligent application, included Victor were given a passing grade and not to have to repeat this last year!!  What relief and rejoicing that brings us!!!  Arrived at the ferry terminal, sure enough, the always available young men carried my suitcases to the upper ferry deck on their heads and rightly guessed they were full of books; at least one was…  It was a pleasant trip in the balmy evening under the stars to the other side, a slow moving boat and about 45 mins time. We let Mom know I had safely arrived and was in good hands, had some young coconut milk and the soft flesh, and just generally enjoyed soaking in the atmosphere once more, observing and being observed.  We found Susan and daughter Olive waiting for us there, they having missed the ferry transport over with Vic. On to the guest house through a familiar but quieter night-time Freetown with more lights than the last time I was present.  A little different room at the guest house I have stayed at some ever since Titus and my trip(and we are working out the quirks today) and Junior (Sorie Thoronka) Salamatu’s  brother was here to greet me.  We sat around and ate Susan’s delicious potato-leaf stew, my favorite, a spinach-collard green like dish, hot/spicy with dried fish for protein and lots of good rice.  Fresh pineapple whose core is sweeter than the pulp we would buy at home was my appetizer and dessert. Praise and a psalm, a song to celebrate “We Are All Together Again” and prayer to close the evening with all of us tired from a big day.  A foot rub from my Olive and then a cold shower felt just right and refreshing after all the air travel of 2 days.
Slept well, with Susie fielding my early morning phone calls, “You must be tired?” Mr. Sefoe asked her, “Yassssahhhhh…” she drawled @ the 7:30 ring and that was good for another hours nap.  Had another foot rub from dear Olive and then soon her other kids were summoning me with hugs and smiles and it was so good to see Dominick and Princess along with their Junior (Mohammed J Sheriffe), who also lives with them while he goes to school here in Freetown.  We had fresh bread from the Red Lion Bakery across the street with Laughing Cow cheese spread and hot tea, then a little later there was fried plantains to snack on that Princess fried up- such a treat!  Went through some of my suitcase with gifts for this crew- and taught and played a game of UNO that Olive won after a long battle, 6 of us playing took awhile.  I took a little nap and some of the others went on errands, then Joseph came and I was able to bless him greatly with his answered request for a camcorder that he will use to document his investigative work for the police, presently stationed in Makeni- his delight and smiles from the depth of his heart delight mine and he has spent several hours thoroughly reading the manual.
Vic came in from a long day of errands just a bit ago, bringing a snack of ice cream, always eaten here in honor of Titus who managed to visit a rare soft-serve outlet here quite often with Jr during our trip together in 2007.  Now there are delicious smells coming from where Princess is cooking.  Vic is taking care of interface with the management over several things and Joseph is packing up equipment, The kids outside are having a lively game of football (soccer here) and Jr is waiting for this machine to view a Noah’s Ark video that I bought for Emmanuel.  Me, well, I am ready to be done recording for awhile… 
Maybe I will run to the café and send this off yet tonight, possibly evaluate and create a blogspot…or not…  I am on vacation status for this very start…
J 
Love to all!!
Happy in Sierra Leone-Christine
Hello again!
Well, it was a not to be sent yet-  after an all day at the guesthouse, I was ready to be out and about so couldn’t resist begging for a quick trip to Lumley Beach for a little while in the evening, a place where good memories from long past bond Victor and I.  Then were no parking spots at one internet café option and the second one closed which confirmed that it was too late on a Saturday night to be sending mail anyway…  Found on return that I had missed Mrs. Sefoe, who had been rather hurt all day, expecting me to call to say I was rested up and ready for company while I had simply expected her to arrive anytime. 
Susan apologized for that misunderstanding well, for Sunday morning, before I was out of bed, there Mrs.Sefoe was with her beautiful smile and gorgeously dressed for early morning church services, with a basket of breakfast for us.  (Don’t worry!- I like to see a fragrant fish staring up from a bowl of heavily onion-seasoned sauce- so I can properly appreciate the joy of the loving gift!!) She went on leaving Pastor Sefoe there, he sitting on the balcony reading one of my books from home after we had caught up a little on family, until time to leave for the second service while I got ready for church.  We had made arrangements for Sunday to go to Pastor Patrick Coker’s church, Divine Grace Ministry, services, he’s a long-time contact from Mercy Ships days- my friend who had had a large beard-like tumor taken off in the pre-war days and then worked as an on-board interpreter while I was there. Services were to have started at 9:30, Vic didn’t get left from his place till 9:00 and ran into “choked” traffic so we were running impossibly late till he picked up Junior and I,  poor Susan having to make the difficult choice to study for today’s test instead of joining us.  The traffic was no better going through town, so by the time we got east to that area, Pastor Patrick had been standing at the roadside waiting to direct us while the congregation continued with part of their services but awaited us, too.  A warmest welcome was received from the congregation established there after the original church as I knew it split several years back. We were too well introduced as to seem necessary, Victor shared a few words from the 23rd Psalm, I shared greetings from the Church in America and then it was time for service…The Scripture reading from Romans 10 was done by Jr, from which Pastor Patrick spoke on the mouth, the heart and the mind’s place in the righteousness of God.  He issued the warning that we may miss Heaven from disconnect of the 6 inches between our head and our heart; a walk of righteousness will have outflow in all aspects of our life. After services we went to view the place where they had been trying to build a more permanent structure than the grass mat compound we were worshipping in:  they had progressed fairly 2/3’s the way with the mud brick and mortar walls, but being unable the purchase zinc for roofing it, they had lost most of the work, not really much to apparently salvage.  A place for requested assistance on their part, prayer on mine…and now it can be for yours…
We left here having delivered the letters from the school children and my nieces and nephews to Patrick’s happy children and a goodbye with promise to meet soon again. Jr and I were dropped off at Joseph’s family home while Vic went into town to meet a friend needing a loan for his 10 year old eldest daughter’s hospital care.  She had been very much a concern on Vic’s heart and it was seriously pressed on us to pray for her Saturday night in our beach time with prayers being answered with progressive recovery up to this time. Was an hour+ till he could make the round trip with the stay there being a little awkward re: to language constraints and the fact that the 2 year old twins whose birthday we were there to celebrate, were quite frightened by my difference in appearance and alternately cried or hid (if it was only by squeezing their eyes tight shut) from interaction.  Then the other neighbor children started to gather around and we sang “Tel Em Tenki” multiple times and they shared their national song “I Will Exalt Thee, Land of the Free…- Great is our love we have for thee… Firmly united ever we stand… Singing thy praise, O Native Land…  We raise up our heart and our voices on earth, the hills and the valleys will rain our cry… Blessing and peace, so we rain on our cry…” and then rehearsed their Pledge- “I pledge my love and loyalty… to our country Sierra Leone…I vow to serve her faithfully at all times… I promise to defend, die, and honor our good name… Always work for our peace, freedom and prosperity…I will put our interest above all else… So help me God.  So help me God!”  That helped the time go faster and soon we had Joseph and Rebecca and the twins, Mary and Chris (that would be Creese, in their pronunciation- made me look every time as that is what I am often called, too…) and some cooking they had done loaded into the Honda hatchback vehicle that Vic is currently using while he is trying to sell it along with several others for a trader from the Netherlands.
John Obey (o-bee) Beach became a favorite of mine last trip but I had heard it was being developed somewhat by an eco-tourism company who is bringing in people for a simple beach camping experience and then assisting with some local building and activities. It definitely had some sign of increased activity which didn’t add to our enjoyment but hope will truly benefit the local population, but was still very private compared to what its counterpart here would be.  We had rice and a dried fish stew added to our delicious papaya, fried plantains and sodas to drink and I enjoyed the beauty of the scene so much from the rocks, spending time until suns setting over the Atlantic, not what we see here in the States.  Evening found us back to the guesthouse where we had missed a visit from Eric and a call to Mom and Dad and then later received from Carolyn Metzger completed the evening.
Today, breakfast arrived with Peter Sefoe, the youngest son of the Sefoes being the courier and he has been a fun new acquaintance, eagerly running my errands, striving to remember the words of the song and pledge I was needing reference for and looking over my shoulder even as I write this.  Then a little later, my dear Eric was popping in the door with his shy but so warm smiling eyes:  how special are the friends God brightens our lives with!!  I had a planning session with he and Mr Sefoe in regards to the Bo clinic and the Konima village cassava project, met with Pastor Patrick to give a reference for the Mercy Ship arrival in 2011 and then came into town to Eric’s office, where he teaches a computer school and helps out folks like me.  Susan and Olive came after school, Mr Sefoe dropped back in and I have worked on this despite several brief power outages and trying to figure out what makes a blog page…  I am ending this part of my journaling now and promise no more for awhile…
I will figure out hopefully how not to bore those who wouldn’t want to be and get it to who would like to follow along with the friends they already “know” from previous trips…
Keep me in your prayers, as I do you!  We serve an Almighty, an Omnipresent Lord God who loves all His children of a vast domain!!  Praise be to Him!!
Happily from Sierra Leone- Christine Gish

1 comment: